Tuition Classification (Residency)

Colorado Classification

Tuition classification is governed by state law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973, as amended) and by judicial decisions that apply to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado and is subject to change at any time. CCD is required to apply the rules set forth in the law and does not have the authority to make exceptions unless specifically permitted by law. 

In-state status requires that you live in Colorado for one year prior to the first day of class. Domicile is defined as an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. You may only have one domicile at any one time.

At the beginning of the one-year period, you are expected to take appropriate actions to demonstrate your intent to remain in Colorado permanently. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • surrendering legal ties with your former state of residence,
  • obtaining Colorado Driver’s License/Identification within the statutory period,
  • registering motor vehicle within the statutory period,
  • registering to vote in Colorado,
  • obtaining permanent employment in Colorado,
  • filing income tax in Colorado,
  • any other factors that document your intent to establish a permanent home in Colorado.

You are qualified to begin the one-year domicile period upon reaching 22 years of age, and thus would satisfy the one-year domicile requirement at 23 years of age. The one-year domicile period also begins upon marriage or emancipation if you are under 22 years of age. Individuals under the age of 23 are eligible for in-state tuition if a parent or court-appointed legal guardian meets the requirements of the tuition law.

Eligible non-U.S. citizens may be requested to provide immigration documents, which may include but are not limited to, I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, Permanent Residency Card, or other required documents.

Initial Classification

You are classified as resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on the information provided on the application for admission to CCD. Failure to answer all questions could lead to initial classification as a non-resident. After your status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking in-state tuition. Visit for more information.

Change in Tuition Classification

New students and continuing students who believe that their initial tuition classification was based on incomplete information and wish to prove eligibility must submit the Correction  for Initial Tuition Classification Form.  Students emancipated prior to 22 years of age, shall have up to 30 days from the first day of class to complete the Petition for In-State Tuition form and Emancipation Form.

Information submitted to qualify for in-state tuition is subject to independent verification and will not be returned to students. Individuals submitting false information or falsified supporting documents are subject to college disciplinary proceedings and may face criminal charges.

Appeal Procedure

You will not be allowed to drop courses after the census date if you are denied in-state tuition. You are responsible for dropping all courses by census date, even if a decision on your tuition classification has not yet been received. However, you may appeal the decision when denied in-state tuition. The Tuition Classification Appeal form must be received before the last day of the semester for which in-state tuition classification is sought. The decision of the appeals committee is final and will not be overturned by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE).

CCD reserves the right to correct tuition classification after the deadline in cases where the college believes an error was made.

Tuition Classification for Reverse Transfer Degrees

CCD will use the last known residency as listed in CCD's student information system when awarding a reverse transfer degree to a non-active student. This will not impact tuition classification as the student will have a registration hold placed for the term in which the degree is being awarded. Students will be made inactive for any future terms and must reapply for admission if they seek re-enrollment at CCD.

Colorado ASSET Bill

Senate Bill 13-033, also known as Colorado ASSET, allows U.S. citizens, permanent residents and students without lawful immigration status to receive in-state tuition through attendance and graduation from a Colorado high school or through attendance at a Colorado high school combined with obtaining a GED.

In 2022, the General Assembly passed HB22-1155, In-state Tuition For Colorado High School Graduates, which updates the eligibility criteria for Colorado ASSET students to receive in-state tuition and state financial aid at Colorado postsecondary education institutions. 

To qualify for in-state tuition under ASSET, you must:

  • Have attended a Colorado high school for at least one year before graduation or was physically present in Colorado for at least one year immediately preceding the date the student completed a high school equivalency examination in Colorado; and 

  • Have been physically present in Colorado for at least 12 consecutive months before enrolling in an institution.  

  • Apply for COF if you are a student without lawful immigration status. You must also complete an affidavit stating that you have applied for lawful presence or will apply as soon as you are eligible to do so. 

As with the traditional domicile path, residency classification will be determined based on the information and documents submitted by you. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking in-state tuition. Visit for more information.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

If you are a resident of one of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) states, you may be eligible to request a reduced tuition rate. WICHE states include Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Students applying for the WUE program must provide evidence of domicile in one of the qualifying states and will be required to reapply for WUE each academic year.

To qualify for the WUE reduced tuition program, you must:

  • The WUE application form must be submitted to Office of Registration and Records by the earliest drop (census) date for your courses. Visit
  • Students 22-years-old and younger will need to submit at least two intent items from the parent that date back one year prior to the start of classes to document the parent is a resident of one of the qualifying states.
  • Students 23-years-old and older will need to submit at least two intent items that date back one year prior to the start of class with the WUE application to document the student is a resident of one of the qualifying states.
  • Students are not permitted to apply time spent in the WUE program toward satisfaction of Colorado residency requirements for tuition purposes.
  • Online courses are not eligible for the WUE tuition rate.

Military/Special Residency Requirement Waivers

CCD’s Veteran, Dependent and Active Duty Military Residency Process

All U.S. Armed Forces Military Veterans, dependents or active duty personal will automatically be granted in-state residency based on their admissions application. If the student does not indicate their status on their admissions application they must provide the documentation below.

Veteran Students will need to submit the following:

  • DD-214

Active Duty Personnel and Military Dependents will need to submit one of the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for GI Bill Benefits

  • Military orders

  • CAC card or Military Dependent Card