CCD: The Only Community College in the Nation to Share a Campus with Two Four-Year Universities
The Colorado Legislature created CCD in 1967. Three years later, classes began in a renovated auto showroom close to Denver’s Civic Center. When enrollment increased rapidly, the college expanded into retail storefronts near the main building.
In 1975, CCD moved to the 124-acre Auraria Higher Education Center campus in downtown Denver. It sits on the west bank of Cherry Creek, originally the site of the 1858 frontier town of Auraria. The campus has the oldest standing structure in Denver—the former Temple Emmanuel, now the Emmanuel Gallery, an exhibition space for student and faculty artwork.
It also is the only community college in the nation to share a campus with two four-year universities—Metropolitan State University of Denver and the University of Colorado Denver. The three institutions share classroom buildings, a regional library, recreational facilities, a performing arts center, and a student union.
CCD is one of 13 institutions in the Colorado Community College System. It is the third largest with around 5,400 full-time equivalent students and an unduplicated student headcount of nearly 15,000. CCD is the only community college in the City and County of Denver.